-->

The Difference Between TV and Real Life

Sounds funny huh? I promise I'm going somewhere with this. I used to watch the Bachelor and the Bachelorette “religiously” when they first came out. I watched as the men wooed the woman, awed by the extravagant dates and treatment they lavished on her, and saying things like, “I WANT THAT”, and “THAT’S SO NOT FAIR!”

Fast forward 4 years; after I gave my heart to actually following the Lord, and letting Him be in control of who I yoked myself to. He gave me everything and more than what I asked for; easy peasy right? Wrong; instead of being excited, I didn’t know how to receive it and I lashed out. Needless to say, I went through excruciating and grueling deliverance from a lot of junk; ultimately needing to be shown where my true identity and security come from.

While visiting a friend one evening, the Lord led me to watch the Bachelorette; though hesitant, I did it. I was shocked at how differently I saw things. First, I noticed extreme compassion for the women; able to see with spiritual eyes that they were dealing with insecurity. The next thing I noticed was how sad and slightly pathetic it was; the manipulation tactics, childish behaviors, and lack of genuine love in many of the men. I now found myself saying things like, “What in the world was I thinking?”

The Lord first showed me how much work He’d done in my heart (Is it weird to want to pray for God; knowing what He was getting himself into?). Then He showed me that when we don’t know who we are in Him; TV romance only coddles our emotions. However, when we get it in real life, that’s what EXPOSES our emotions. TV makes it easy to allow our souls to cling to false pretenses of romance, but to have it in front of your face causes things in our hearts to come out that wouldn’t otherwise have been brought to light in the privacy of our living room.

DISCLAIMER: PRIVATE & INTIMATE DETAILS AHEAD
Here's another spot on example; on our wedding night, my husband asked me if showering together was something I wanted to do in a marriage. My first response was fairly calm; it's not that I would never consider it, but shower time for me has always been my alone time. It's always been the one place I could go and not be interrupted. He continued to ask more questions though and after about the 3rd one; I pretty much lost it on him. After a few hours of me yelling to get my point across, my deepest secrets came out; I didn't want my husband to see my legs. I didn't like my legs and I was ashamed. That's not something that would have been exposed watching TV; I needed to be in an intimate relationship for those deepest places to be revealed.

Ultimately what I discovered is that God wants to heal His children's hearts; so the wounds can be cleansed, we can walk in freedom, recognize His truth, and not be deceived by what the media calls love and romance. I have no clue what God does or how He does it, but I can tell you….it works!

RESOURCES

No comments:

Post a Comment