-->

Why Do We Willingly Accept Poverty?

The Lord began working in me regarding "receiving" several years ago; consistently blessing me with surprises just because He loves me. He's continued to do so over the past two years and in an ironic twist, the Lord gave me a "wake up" call today with an incident resembling something He already did for me last year. Before I tell of that awakening event, allow me to share two of my favorite examples.

Last month the Lord blessed us through a lovely woman with a refrigerator packed FULL of food. To see that much at one time was weird, and condemnation tried to creep in and make us feel guilty. You may remember this part of our story; in which case you'll be familiar with why this was a huge blessing. In that moment, the Lord told my husband and I to get used to living in abundance because this was just a glimpse into what He has prepared for us. 

April of last year I desperately wanted a hair cut and color. So, I asked the Lord for it; knowing He was well aware I didn't have the money because of the season we were following Him in. Out of nowhere, a friend of a friend of mine called; she worked at an upscale salon in the area and told me that the Lord put it on her heart to do my hair. I went in on the day of my appointment and got a shampoo, cut, color, and style at NO CHARGE! When I tell you this was an upscale salon, I mean the entire cup of what she'd done for me cost well over $300 and this woman did not charge me a penny! She said it was a blessing from the Lord. Now, there was ministry the Lord wanted me to do for her while I was there, but nonetheless, I got my hair done for FREE!

WAKE UP CALL on RECEIVING
This afternoon I found a website where you can get customized, salon-grade hair color for $20. The picture caught my eye and out of mere curiosity, I completed a color profile. After answering several questions about my hair history, it was time to become a registered member. As soon as the pop up window appeared, the Lord stopped me dead in my tracks. He said to me, "Do you think you need to save me money?" I raised my head with a look of utter confusion and I asked Him what He meant. He continued to say, "One day very soon I'll put you in position to have enough resources that you can enjoy going to a salon to get your hair done anytime you'd like." 

I had to stop and think about that for a moment; it didn't seem natural for me to go to a salon if I could save money doing it online. This was when the Lord said I was thinking with a poverty mentality and that many believers do so because they are afraid of having more than enough. He walked me through the chain of events that occurred at the salon that day. He reminded me how awkward and nervous I was towards the end because I didn't even have money to tip her. When she was finished, she swiftly removed my cape and said, "Go! Have a great day and enjoy your hair!"

The Lord said that what happened in that salon was a picture of our relationship with Him; He doesn't expect His children to tip Him. He showed me that when someone gives us a gift, we don't scour to find money to pay them for it...WE TAKE IT! Just as we don't tip others who give us gifts, nor does He want us to tip Him when He gives us gifts. That's the epitome of what a gift is; it's FREE! Not only that, the Lord said He does want His children to prosper materially. He brought me to 3 John 1:2 "Beloved I pray that you may prosper in all things, and be in good health, even as your soul prospers." Our souls need to prosper first and for many reasons; one of them being so we can enjoy the material blessings without feeling guilt and shame. 

Word from the Lord: "Believers punish themselves by trying to stay broken and have little because they believe it causes humility. It's actually false humility which is a form of pride because it's self-centered, not Christ centered. This is not my desire, but many do not trust my spirit within them."

RESOURCES

No comments:

Post a Comment